Saturday, December 31, 2005

A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS 2005

Live Music:
The band Heernt, who I discovered via the Avishai Cohen band - drummer Mark Guiliana is Heernt’s band leader/drummer. I’ve seen them live five times this year, and they never fail to amaze, inspire and excite me. They deserve to be HUGE and I think they will be…..

Recorded music:
Ok, it was released in late 2004, but I go back to Abram Wilson’sJazz Warrior’ over and over. (How can anyone cover a Stevie Wonder track and be as inspiring as the man himself?) They’re a kick-ass live band too and my last ‘Jazz on a Spring Day’ at the South Bank in May 2005 was the summing up of a lot of what’s great in British jazz to me this year, with Abram’s band, the amazing Jason Yarde’s trio and the ever-cutting-edge-brilliance of ‘Tomorrow’s Warriors’.

Other great musical discoveries of the year (in no particular order):
Aimee Mann, Jonatha Brooke, Hanne Hukkelberg, Jeff Taylor, Nouvelle Vague, Jack Johnson.

Best films seen (but not made) in 2005:
Crash , City of God, Dirty Pretty Things.
See them if you haven’t. I mean it. Really. Just do it.

Friends:
I have been blessed with the best friends anyone could hope for throughout this year of tremendous change. I had the most amazing send-offs from the place I’d worked at for 19 years, the best team of organizers/designers/helpers for my wedding in April and the most supportive team of packers/psychiatrists ;-) for my move to New York in September. What can I say except the most sincere thank-you. You all know who you are and you’re in my heart always. I was on the receiving end of so many acts of love this year, and I could never have gone through all of these total life-changes without you.
Special shouts go out to the lovely Catster, ( without whose sharklife-takeover skills I couldn’t easily have left the UK and without whose great smuggling skills of great British necessities I couldn’t have survived thus far in the US) and the wondrous Stevie , (who’s introduced me to a whole load of new music, been a instant-message-distraction-support in times of great shark change and most importantly is a fantastically inspiring musician – check out his blog and great looping skillz at his new series of Recycle Collective gigs starting January 12th.)

Personal events:
Hardly did anything this year. (Haha!). Got married in April to the lovely TH (and the butterflies are still everywhere to prove it…). Left my job of 19 years in July. Moved to New York in September. I’m a big fan of the series of films ‘Seven Up’ and this year felt like a very significant ‘42’.

And finally - Welcome to the World:
The gorgeous Gabriel, our Godson, born in August 2005 in Australia and son of my soul mate Karen.

May your 2006 be full of love, peace and adventure.
And remember- it's not what you do but the way that you do it.
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

Cat
A tribute - did you go all gooey inside?
I'm proud of your extra special mention.
I can't believe that I thought you were the quiet one for soooo long.
lx

7:28 PM, December 31, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcomed 2006 in with my main man the "G" and friends. we are 8 hours ahead of london and who knows how much more than shark territory. sent you love and posiivity across the waves.
love you and trust we will see each other this year.
shana tova (a hny in hebrew).

xxxxxk&g down unda

9:21 AM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger Catster said...

I feel very honoured by my special mention and did indeed go all gooey inside!

xx

11:02 AM, January 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home