Friday, February 16, 2007

VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE



Guess what! More upside down nakedness!
The theme of random unsavoury lack of clothes continues this week. Our Valentine's night outing was initially looking all set to be nudity-free, which clearly one would expect from a Kurt Elling gig at the Blue Note (totally amazing of course). I was feeling all loved-up, until the TH insisted on a detour on the way home and dragged me into a seedy club called (I think, imaginatively) 'Love'. I very much agree with the Groucho Marx sentiment of refusing to join any club that would have me as a member, particularly a night club in New York on Valentine's night, without the aid of a Marquis to see me through the velvet ropes. There were no velvet ropes (never a promising sign, much as I hate them) and the doormen were throwing us in, not out. In fact it was a whole lot easier to get into this club than to log on to blogger these days. There was of course a reason for this - the place was full of (but far from full) sad single crazies and geeks out on the pull, dressed in practically nothing, displaying body parts best left unseen and demonstrating all manner of quirky non-rhythmic dance movements, which left no further need for an explanation as to why they were on their own. There were also a handful of extremely young people, young enough to be my children, or possibly my grandchildren. Since we were there and there was no queue at the bar it seemed rude not to try out their house gin, which I'm fairly sure was called 'Crap', which sounds unlikely, although made sense. (Whatever it was called, it was definitely responsible for the mysterious disappearance of February 15th.) Sometimes the 5 year age gap between myself and the TH seems like about 25 years, because I think he was actually having fun...? I was not. However, I definitely got my own back by taking advantage of the practically empty dance floor (what were those DJ's doing?) to run through the entire repertoire of my sister's contemporary dance career. By the time I had got to a piece called 'The Wrecking Yard' the TH was more than ready to leave.......

Tonight I am going to a party in a church in honour of the Reverend's parents. I await with interest to see if the nudity theme of the week is going to continue to play itself out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shall I just send you some velvet ropes and you can take them around with you when you're cavortin' n' carousin'? You can drape them across doors as you enter and feel that special extra-loved, Paris-Hilton'y feeling.

Yours, with clothes on,
Marquis

1:41 PM, February 18, 2007  
Blogger purplemafling said...

wish I'd been there.......! xxxxx

3:53 PM, February 18, 2007  
Blogger Lizzy said...

ha ha ha
still trying to get you out clubbing eh.
but i bet your clever scheme stops him asking again for a while.
genius.
yrs, half dressed
xxx

6:04 AM, February 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home