Sunday, April 15, 2007

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

The TH has been having a kind of mid-life crisis, brought about by his 40th birthday a couple of weeks ago. The crisis is manifesting itself in a strong desire to do dangerous things, such as bungee jumping, diving with sharks, white water rafting and eating 5-course traditional Japanese meals. I have managed to talk him out of most of these things, but yesterday failed miserably to prevent him dragging me into a Japanese restaurant. It was totally empty and nobody could speak English - never good signs in any restaurant anywhere in my book, but the TH was determined. Between bows we were muttering at each other under our breath 'It's okay I'll let you do the bungee jump, just don't make me eat here!' 'You said we're not insured for sports'. 'We're not insured for anything since Thursday. Including food!'

It was just as I'd feared. For starters the appetisers looked far from appetising. There was a solitary prawn in a lump of jelly, some raw eel and a couple of totally unidentifiable things. I ate the tiny asparagus decoration, put the eel on the TH's plate and made an attempt at the jellied prawn. Totally disgusting. Then there was a sashimi course - raw tuna and something else unidentifiable. Definitely not for me. I'll say something for Japanese food - at least it comes in really tiny portions so it can be easily disposed of in a serviette. Managed to eat the tiny piece of cooked fish which was the third course, but it was really bland ('not bland - 'subtle' the TH insisted). Then the raw beef course, by which time I was getting really hungry and my serviette was getting really full. Some rice, miso and green tea appeared, but even the rice had unidentifiable fishy things in it. The tea was murky, like a garden pond.
Dessert though, was the creme de la creme. Yum - a pot of totally tasteless white slimy things in brown sludge.



One mouthful of this and I really thought I was going to puke. It was really really really gross. It was so gross I became convinced that the chef was watching us from somewhere having a good laugh 'look at those silly English people eating the stuff I just scraped up from the plughole'.

I have not seen one overweight person since I've been in Japan. I wonder why.

4 Comments:

Blogger jimbobwoof said...

No overweight people. You didn't go to the Sumo then?

1:32 AM, April 18, 2007  
Blogger purplemafling said...

...didn't try the intestines then? That picture looks decidely like some....xx

6:17 AM, April 18, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you should return immediately to SE1 and have big fat chips with me, Fee and B. I'm going ... I'm going now!

7:23 AM, April 19, 2007  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Back to NYC - one extreme to the other.
What did you have first? Calves livers?
Tell.
x

5:25 PM, April 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home