Wednesday, May 17, 2006

SAY WHAT?!

There has been a strange development in tai-chi class over this last week. One of the 70yr olds seems to have developed a very specific case of tourette's syndrome. Picture the scene - 8 of us engaging in gracefully flowing synchronised movements (as in the BBC1 ident) in the middle of the '42' (which, incidentally is the form being used for the Beijing olympics in 2008 - could THIS be my new career?), karmic ambient music in the background....
And then this guy every few seconds starts shouting the word 'GROIN'!
I counted something like 11 'groins' today before I totally lost concentration and had to feign cramp in order to stifle uncontrollable laughter.

On the treadmill afterwards I realised that my gym is full of total quirks. I see the same folks every time I go so I guess I've got used to them, but today, because I'd started, my laughing didn't stop - the Chinese guy who walks backwards on the treadmill (someone should tell him.....), the young guy who comes in at 12.50 on the dot and turns off every single tv monitor in the room before he starts working out (we all know to schedule our exercise before he comes in), and if anyone dares to turn one on again (even on the opposite side of the room) he stops his workout and turns it off , the woman who never does any exercise as clearly she believes everyone at the gym is actually her therapist and stands by any stranger without headphones giving them the sad story of her life and asking for advice (we all now know to wear headphones at all times), and a particular favourite of mine - the guy, who again doesn't do any exercise, but gives the mirrors a terrific workout standing in front of them in various 'I am beautiful' poses for about an hour. You'd be amazed how treadmill-time flies watching that dork. That's actually just the tip of the iceberg. (I also find the 20something girls who run at about 30mph for a couple of hours, then cycle at about 80mph for another couple of hours quite amusing, but that could be just jealousy....)
Who'd ever have thought the gym could be so entertaining.

And of course, after today, I'll be known as the strange woman who laughs hysterically all the time and wears headphones in the shower...

2 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

So you weren't down the pub watching the football?!
Why not. It was very exciting.

5:04 PM, May 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your gym sounds marvellous... i'll be bringing my trainers to new york next week. i'll be the weird beige girl with the incredibly short fringe who hangs out with the strange girl who laughs at everybody! janet xx

5:42 PM, May 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home